Work Permits

Most foreign nationals need a work permit to work in Canada.

There are 2 types of work permits.

1-Employer-specific work permits

An employer-specific work permit lets you work in Canada according to the conditions on your work permit, such as

  • the name of the specific employer you can work for
  • how long you can work
  • the location where you can work (if applicable)

Many employer-specific work permits need (LMIA). A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter.

There are several Work Permit categories that are Labour market impact assessment (LMIA) exempted such as International Mobility Programs. In H.R.Azimi Immigration Services Inc. we work on following programs:

International Mobility Program: Canadian interests – Significant benefit – Entrepreneurs/self-employed candidates seeking to operate a business in Canada [R205(a) – C11]. There are two major categories in this program:

Applicants seeking only temporary residence in Canada:

Foreign nationals applying to work for themselves or to operate their own business on a temporary basis must demonstrate that their admission to Canada to operate their business would generate significant economic, social or cultural benefits or opportunities for Canadian citizens or permanent residents can apply in this category.

Applicants seeking eventual permanent residence:

There are two categories of potential permanent residence applicants who may apply for a work permit under this category:

  • Actual or potential provincial nominees undertaking business activities;
  • Quebec-destined entrepreneurs or self-employed persons issued a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ).

International Mobility Program: Canadian interests – Significant benefit – Intra-company transferees [R205(a)] (exemption code C12):

The intra-company category permits international companies to temporarily transfer qualified employees to Canada for the purpose of improving management effectiveness, expanding Canadian exports, and enhancing competitiveness in overseas markets.

2-Open work permits

An open work permit lets you work for any employer in Canada, except for one that

If you want to bring your family with you to Canada your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children may be able to work, study or live with you while you work in Canada.